Are you looking for fun, hands-on holiday or Christmas science activities for preschoolers? Maybe you’re looking for the perfect ideas for your December math or discovery center.
Your kids are going to love these preschool Christmas preschool science center ideas. Get out your balance scale because I’m going to show you how to set up a holiday-themed weight activity today.
You can combine learning about the scientific method, measuring and comparing mass and weight, and the FUN of the holiday season with these fun ideas for your science center. These measurement activities will keep your kids thoroughly engaged.
JUST Purchase the Weigh Station Printables
No Time to Read The Whole Article?
Here are the quick links to purchase the Christmas Weight Activity printables today.
I know that science can be a little intimidating sometimes, so I love to share ideas for easy preschool science activities. Easy scientific discovery gets even better when you add a seasonal twist. That’s why I know you will enjoy these fun ideas for Christmas science activities for preschoolers.
In an earlier article, I showed you how I used my stash of little plastic containers to create a fun measurement activity for kids. Now, I want to show you how you can easily make a holiday version of the weighing station.
The Christmas Weight Activity printables pictured in this article can be purchased in my store, but you can do the activity without the printables.
Containers for Your Holiday Weigh Activity
Just like in the previous article, I started to get ready for this weight activity by finding some little plastic containers. Make sure that the containers fit into the bucket of a balance scale and that they are the same size. Plastic baby food containers work perfectly, but you can also find small containers at the Dollar Store.
Use containers that are the same size. This will help kids understand that things that are the same size can have different masses.
What Materials Can You Use in Your Holiday-Themed Activity
You don’t have to spend a lot of money for these fun Christmas preschool science center ideas
Check out your supply closet, craft bins, and holiday decor to find some small items to fill the containers. You can also find some inexpensive holiday-themed materials at the dollar store. If you can’t celebrate the holidays in your classroom, you can use gingerbread or winter-themed materials.
Here are a bunch of ideas for fun materials to weigh:
Gingerbread Theme Materials
- candy canes
- red licorice
- gingerbread erasers
Winter Theme Materials
- mini snowflake ornaments or erasers
- snow (buffalo snow, cotton batting, or baking soda)
- snowballs (cotton balls or white pom-poms)
- pine cones
- evergreen sprigs
- hot cocoa mix
- red and green sequins, gems, or beads
- mini gift ornaments
- birthday candles in holiday colors
- ribbons, bows
- pieces of garland
- reindeer noses (red beads or pom-poms)
- wrapping paper
- berries or poinsettias
How to Prepare the Containers for the Christmas Activity
Prepare five or more containers of differing weights for kids to compare. Tape or glue the containers closed to prevent kids from spilling or nibbling on the contents.
The printable activity set in my store includes a wide variety of material cards plus some editable templates to create some custom cards. Use the cards to totally customize your Christmas science activities for preschoolers to meet your needs.
Use the Scientific Method to Compare Weights
You can easily walk kids through a simplified version of the scientific method as they use this Christmas science activity. The scientific method includes these steps:
- Make observations
- What kinds of materials do you see in the containers?
- What do you notice about the containers?
- Form questions
- What happens when you place a container in a bucket?
- What happens when you place another one in the second bucket?
- Why do you think that happened?
- Develop a hypothesis or prediction
- Before putting them in the buckets, ask them to predict what they think will happen….why?
- Experiment to test the hypothesis
- Was the prediction correct?
- Which container is heavier?….and which one is lighter?
- Gather and record the results
- Make notes or draw pictures in a notebook to record results
- organize the containers by lightest to heaviest
- Share and discuss the results
- Were you surprised by the results? Why?
- Do you think you will get the same results if you weigh them tomorrow?
- What happens if you put the containers in different buckets on the scale?
- Do you think the lighter item is heavier than another container on the table?
I hope you have fun filling your containers for these fun Christmas science activities for preschoolers. Do you have some additional preschool Christmas science center ideas? I would love to hear them.
Purchase the Printables Today
Are you ready to put these Christmas preschool science center ideas into action with your kids to set up a seasonal weight activity in your discovery center? You can purchase the Christmas and Holiday Weight Printables in my store. Click on the images below to learn more
Purchase on TPT
Do you prefer to shop at Teachers Pay Teachers? You can also set up these Christmas science activities for preschoolers by purchasing the Christmas Weight Activity Printables in my TPT Store.
More Christmas Preschool Science Center Ideas
If you are looking for additional preschool Christmas science center ideas, check out these activities.